Acrostics

Acrostics serve any topic with great structural readiness, since the "spine word" resonates through the poem. The spine word is set vertically and lines of a poem spill out of the letters. To counteract a humdrum attitude reared on the exotic close-ups of the TV nature documentary or ecotour, students pretended to be blind. With a partner, they took turns blind folding themselves and describing their local environment. Here is what it's like "Being Blind":
(Acrostics published anonymously by grade; photos by Kiernan Sullivan)



Blades of grass are
Emerging from the ground
Into
New hands above the
Ground where they will

Be
Lifted even further
Into the air until they are
No longer visible from
Destroyed patch of earth.
(7th Grade)



Being blind
Equals...
Icky, mossy, rough stuff
Nothing makes sense anymore...
Ground, stump, tree, plant

Beautiful, I bet, that is
Loving the feeling of rocks and moss
I just can't figure out what is rough, tall, and edgy
No one can help me
Doomed to fall on that spikey plant...
(7th Grade)



Be strong
Entering your senses
Into your mind
Nothing can harm you
Going to the fullest

Being in ways apart
Lending your gifts
In your sights nothing
No colors to be be found
Do become strong
(7th Grade)



Beautiful branches all around
Every single leaf, so crunchy
I can only feel
Nothing I can see
Guessing each organism I swiftly wisper.

Before I fell, so clumsy
Long walks, the grass is humid.
I felt the flowers, and smelled.
Notice how hot the day was
Don't doubt your senses.
(7th Grade)



Blind in the woods
Eagerly looking for my partner
Inside my mind I'm thinking I will fall
No sight for help
Grabbing onto objects I find

Blurting out my partner's name
Laughing as I bump into people
In fear of falling down a hill
Nowhere to go
Dying to take the blindfold off
(9th Grade)



Bearing the idea of Paulo guiding me blind-folded
Every single one of my senses kicked in.
Into four senses my body was guided
Not easy to do so,
Going to try anyway.

Bursting adrenaline flows as I feel what my eyes can't see.
Lowering my body then stretching to feel what's around me.
I do not use my sense of taste too often,
Nobody would taste something they can't see.
Dirt was the only thing my tongue could taste.
(9th Grade)



Bumping into
Everything
In front of me.
No sense of sight.
Girls screaming,

Boys teasing,
Little do I know what about.
I feel rough bark,
Nutty grounds, but only see
Dark.
(9th Grade)



Beauty is in
Everything I touch.
It's hard to feel my way
Not knowing where I'll
Go next.

Branches surround me, I feel
Long ones and short ones. They
Intertwine, leaving me with
No choice but to go
Down, crawling under them.
(10th Grade)



Break into pieces, it's too dry
Eucalyptus tree felt soft
I felt like walking on the moon
Not dry leaves, but grass
Ground felt soft

Barks of dogs everywhere
Leaves were dry
It's dirty
No insects are flying around
Dry season is close
(11th Grade)



Breathing heavier, for my senses are working stronger,
Everything comes into my ears more intensely.
Immersed in thought, where am I?
No idea where I am, lost, how can I figure out where I walk?
Go on walking, like guided by the wind, walk, walk, and don't stop.

Being on top of the world, that is how I feel,
Look through the eyes of your soul,
Insightful images fill your head, you wonder,
No need for sight, just for feeling,
Do tell me, where am I?
(11th Grade)